News 12-10-07 Upcoming Tidbits
1. Long's Drugs - There's a City Council meeting on the 12th, and check out C.14 Approval to the Reno City Attorney's Office to research viability of filing a lawsuit relating to the uses allowed at the location of the former Riverboat Hotel and Casino, which is on Second Street, Reno, Nevada, with respect to land uses or other claims, and providing authority to file such suit.
2. WeFi Indoor Year-Round Urban Market - In a recent DIA Presentation, Mark Lewis hinted to the 'area' for the indoor urban market. Although he wouldn't name the exact spot, a very engaged audience coaxed several clues out of him: It's proposed location is between 1st and 2nd Street, on West Street, and not on the bottom floor of the Comstock.
3. CommRow - Sorry Myrna, it doesn't look like Dave Aizzi and the rest of the council is going with the name Plaza Del Sesso. I was the one who submitted that name to your name contest, BTW, so I am equally saddened as you are. Anyway lol, during his presentation Mark Lewis referred to the trench covers, and the general area following Commercial Row/Plaza St. over to the proposed baseball stadium as ''CommRow'. It's a throwback to when Commercial Row was the bomb in Reno...the place to do business and be seen, I believe he said construction would commence in January for the 2-block covers.
4. Amendment 21 Sports Bar and Grill - Will be taking over the space where Adele's, Spencer's Steakhouse and the Blue Trout formerly occupied in the BofA Building on Liberty and Virginia.
5. December 19 Planning Commission Meeting - Though as of this writing the agenda hasn't been posted yet, I know two important issue to the Wells Avenue neighborhood will be on tap. First, the Wells Avenue Neighborhood Plan that dozens of residents including me have worked so hard on will be submitted to the Planning Commission Dec 19, and also, the public hearing for Mill Street Townhomes will be on the agenda. Mill Street Townhomes is the 28-townhome project on Mill and Holcomb.
Post your comments
Posted by: Slapdad - 12/11/2007 6:15:19 AM
I love the updates, I like to see downtown Reno pushing ahead and continuing to develop areas that have needed it for a long time and all of that. However.....and I'm just going to come out and say it......I hate the name WeFi. Every time I've used the name, people either 1) hate it, or 2) don't know what it is until I tell them....then they hate it. Can't we come up with a better name that WeFi? Sorry....I'm a hater. : )
Posted by: daddyisaninja - 12/12/2007 9:46:49 AM
I'm glad somebody said it. WeFi is just not rolling off the tongue. How about, in light of the "Comm Row" concept, and since Comm Row would actually stretch past West street: "SoCo"? Just spitballing here. Not hating. Good post, btw...keep it up
Posted by: John Andrews - 12/12/2007 2:09:16 PM
So, the market is going in on West St between 1st and 2nd, but it's NOT the ground floor of the Riverwalk? I guess that means it's going into the old Liquid Lounge space?