Downtown Reno and Midtown Breaking News
The Virginian is looking for a few good retail and food venues for its ground-floor and basement levels of the upcoming Virginian renovation. Check out the cool photos of the Virginian, still frozen in time, posted on their ad. Amazing!13 Mar 2015
A couple of quick announcements:
1) The old Beaujolais location 130 West Street has been rented out to a new business called “Crafted Palette”. This will be a high-end specialty coffee shop with light breakfasts’ in addition to a paint and sip venue in the late afternoon and evenings. Like them on Facebook here.
2) 123 W. First Street (Old Bugsy’s Bar Location); one side has been leased to a business called “Derby Supply Company”. This will be a 1930’s style barbershop. They are offering cocktails while one might be getting a true straight razor shave and haircut. Look for build-out to begin late Spring, early Summer.16 Mar 2015
Public tours are offered 10 am to 4 pm every 30 minutes on Sunday, March 22. A $20 donation will be collected at the door to support Renown Children’s Hospital.16 Mar 2015
I have a trio of sneak peaks for you today! Let's start with the Shelter, a new bar/entertainment venue downtown that will be opening to the public next Thursday, March 26.18 Mar 2015
In the city council meeting agenda for next Wednesday, there are a crop of cool things in the pipeline. Here's a suite of businesses applying for licenses:
- Mellow Fellow - 300 East Second Street, Suite 104-Bar...This is located across the street from the Reno Aces Ballpark.
- Crafted Palette - 130 West Street - Cabaret - This will be a high-end coffee shop and sip-and-paint venue in the evenings where Beaujalais was formerly located, on West Street.
- Derby Supply Company - 123 West First Street, Suite B - Bar - This will be an old-fashion style barbershop where you can also grab a drink at the same time! Located in one of the Ross Apartments First Street retail spaces.
- Shelter, 111 North Virginia Street - Cabaret. This is a bowling alley/sports bar/night club featured here.
- Sierra Wellness - 1605 East 2nd Street, Suite 103 - This will be a medical marijuana dispensary going in next to Opa Deli and Suzie's Adult Books, on 2nd Street across from Renown Hospital.
A Day of Sneak Peeks Part 2: Ross Apartments. Check out Ross Manor's renovations of their 1 bedroom units, along with a name change to Ross Apartments.18 Mar 2015
A Day of Sneak Peeks Part 3: Plans for the Virginian.
The Virginian is the long-closed hotel casino located on Virginia Street just north of City Hall and First Street, on the east side of Virginia Street. On the same day I was checking out Ross Apartments and the Shelter, Downtownmakeover fan Matt Orchowski went on a tour of the Virginian, snapped some photos, and learned some surprising facts about the building.18 Mar 2015
Check out a photo tour of the extremely cool 50 South Virginia Project, which is the former U.S. Post Office in downtown Reno on the river. Amazing plans are in place already, so check out the photos and read on!21 Mar 2015
While perusing Midtown the other day I ran across this seemingly new business near Mandala Massage Supply Company. It's called Awake and Aging, and they offer everything from chakra cleansing to aromatherapy sessions, as well as offer up quite a few courses on their Facebook Page here. Check them out! They are located at 737 1/2 South Virginia.
Bernie Carter owns the building, and was converted from a crack den (a real quick den, where drugs were often delivered on mopeds) to a commercial duplex where the massage supply store and Awake and Aging are located.
2 Apr 2015
So the word on the street is Siegel Group is demolishing the current awnings over the retail businesses on the first floor, and is looking at two options moving forward.
I also can't wait to see what they come up with for window options, since the Historical Resources Commission recommended they come up with window replacements that have a bit more of a historical feel than 1970s style slider windows.
2 Apr 2015